Friday, July 4, 2008

star-spangled banner

Star-Spangled Banner
July 2008

My iTunes: Dans un delire extreme by Christy Thomas

"Fireworks." That was the first thought in my head as I woke up today. It's been years since I saw fireworks on the 4th of July, and last year I couldn't do the traditional celebration because I was living abroad at the time. July 4 was no more special than July 5. So I was excited about seeing fireworks today and posting pictures here.

Then it rained. And rained. And rained.

So, now that I'm certain I will not catch sight of any fireworks, I'll go to my back up. I really like the texture of this shot. Often when I envision our flag in my mind, I picture flat expanses of color, and not the textures of the fabric. I like that this shot shows off the texture, as well as the good old "red, white, and blue."

I finally converted the recordings I made from the performance in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, the microphone was a bit too close to the piano speakers, but it's still a half-decent recording. I'm still trying to figure out how to post a sound file -- if anyone can tell me how to, I'll post one here so everyone can listen if they so desire.

In other news, I registered to take the GRE today. I think it is completely unethical to charge such an exorbitant fee to take an exam -- $140! Not only do I not want to take this 4-hour test, but I don't want to study for it or stress about it, much less pay to take it! Really, it's ridiculous to charge students such a price. I hardly have any money in the first place! (Okay, I'll get down off my soap box now.)

Happy 4th of July!

5 comments:

Anna said...

Just for the record my 4th of July last year was way more fun than this year's. Need I remind you that we had a "american" meal with the Phillips and lit sparklers outside afterwards :-) I have good memories from that day.

brittaffeldt said...

LOVE this! I know a flag is a flag no matter what, but I love this type of heavy material so much more than the cheap plastic ones (is that bad?)
I am sorry you didn't get to see any fireworks. Maybe for Labor day?

Anna said...

Love the flag and the texture! Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

Love this shot! Simply wonderful :-)

Robert said...

Well even if you didn't see fireworks to post, this is still nice. I love our flag. I always take the Pledge of Allegiance seriously in school and make sure the students know what it is they are saying. Wonderful image.