Wednesday, July 2, 2008

half-portrait

Half-Portrait
July 2008

My iTunes: Violon by Poulenc

Hmm, which picture of Betsy do I post today? Since several people (not just on the blog) have commented on the striking vibrancy of yesterday's shot -- one person said it made his eyes hurt, and I'm not quite sure he meant it jokingly or negatively -- I thought I would post a monochromatic shot today.

This shot came out of a desire to do some fun angles and framing. I found that I had a lot more difficulty taking shots with good angles than I used to before my back surgery. I don't bend the way I used to, and it's harder to get my eye to the viewfinder for certain types of shots. (I feel so old now!) But the more I've learned about the physiology of the back and how it's supposed to work, the more I've realized that few people treat their back properly. After learning so much about how our bad habits affect our back, it's little wonder that low back pain is one of the leading causes of disability! So perhaps it's good that I'm learning how to care for my back, even if I have to be extra cautious about my mobility.

And in closing, a big congratulations to Robert, who has taken some giant leaps toward making his photographic hobby something more professional! See some of his shots from a recent wedding here!

3 comments:

Robert said...

Well my eyes didn't hurt from yesterday's shot. I've gone back a few times to look at it. I still love it. Two years ago I would have been not liking what you posted today. I had been so into things centered it was sickening. Now, I love how you did this. I love seeing things differently now. The key is not making it seem purposely different for the sake of being different. Does that make sense? I hope so. Anyhow, I love it. Maybe your issues with your back will cause you to see things differently through your lens than the rest of us. That's a good thing. See how God works!

I'm so embarrassed. Here you are giving a plug for my recent wedding shots on the night I post a most humiliating post! I hope your readers forgive me! Either way, thank you so much for the support and encouragement. It really means a lot to me. :)

brittaffeldt said...

beautiful! :)

Anna said...

You know I am loving the off-center stuff! I can't help it! This is good and I love the coloring...or non-coloring! :) I hope you didn't mind my comments and tips....I had fun looking through all of them!