Thursday, March 13, 2008

let's try this again...

A Little Green
March 2008

My iTunes: Symphonie Fantastique by Hector Berlioz

I've been trying to upload an image all week, and it finally worked. Hopefully it will be working from now on so I can continue to post my pictures! 2008 has not been a good year for doing that so far between the computer troubles and the uploading troubles...

This is one of my new favorite pieces of music from the Romantic period (early 19th century). I like the fourth movement a lot because it is so full of sensual imagery (that is, imagery that appeals to the senses, like sight, touch, etc.). The first time I heard it, not knowing the title of the piece, the title of the movement, or the composer, I pictured a very specific scene in my head. Berlioz was a programmatic composer, meaning he communicated a specific scene that he intended the audience to picture when hearing this piece. Ironically, without knowing the prescribed scene as Berlioz described it, I pictured the exact scene. Listen to it and see what images come to mind.

The latest news: starting tomorrow, I have a week off! At least I won't have my regular schedule, but I do have a rather large "To-Do List". I hope I can get most of the things on it out of the way -- wish me luck!

Hopefully I'll post again tomorrow...

No comments: