Friday, March 21, 2008

good friday

Good Friday
March 2008

My iTunes: Depuis Hier... Que Fais Tu, Blanche Tourterelle from Gounod's Romeo et Juliette

This is one of my favorite arias from the opera -- it's fun one by Stephano, a male role cast to be played by a mezzo-soprano. Roles like this are known as "pants roles." They became popular as castrati were going out of style. Unfortunately, most people don't appreciate French opera as much as it deserves to be appreciated. Italian is the typical favorite. I just love it all! My recording of this opera is from 1983. Unfortunately the quality isn't the greatest, but perhaps I'm spoiled from hearing it live several evenings a week...

I thought this would be an appropriate image for today, Good Friday. I like the simplicity of this shot. It was taken from the Colosseum in Rome. You can tell it's not in America because the symbolism of the crucifix would never be allowed to be so prominent on an historic, public building. I like how the cross looks out over everyone beneath it, even while they "overlook" the cross. Too often I myself am guilty of that in my own life.

Anyway, blessings on this Good Friday.

No comments: