Saturday, March 22, 2008

celtic cross

Celtic Cross
March 2008

My iTunes: Voici Nos Gens! from Gounod's Romeo et Juliette

This is an image I wake up to every morning. To decorate my bedroom, I printed out a bunch of my photographs from Europe in black-and-white and essentially wallpapered two of my walls. This image ended up being right in my line of sight when I wake up. I think it's a good reminder of what I'd like my legacy to be one day. The inscription at the center is in Latin: "In Te Domine Speravi." It means, "In You, Lord, I trusted." The cross was on the wall in one of the cloisters at Westminster Abbey in London.

I thought it was an appropriate picture for today, the day before Easter.

And for those of you who read what I am listening to in iTunes each time I post, yes, I am still listening to the same opera. I've completely fallen in love with the music. This track is rather long (a whopping 17 minutes!), but it has one of my favorite parts of the whole opera in it. The two families are gathered around the bodies of Mercutio and Tybalt as the Duke comes to survey the scene, and they cry out for justice in a sort of call-and-response format. One voice raises the cry, "Justice!" and is echoed by the full chorus in multi-part harmony, "Justice!" The sound just fills the room and makes me weak at the knees. It's fantastic.

No comments: