Friday, October 19, 2007

dunes


Dunes
October 2007

My iTunes: La Ci Darem La Mano by Renee Flemming and Bryn Terfel

If you're one of those people like I am who goes back to the same place at the same beach every year, do you ever notice how some things change and other things stay the same? I've been going to this spot on the beach at least once a year since I was 2 weeks old. I have pictures of me in diapers here, learning to walk, building sandcastles, swimming, and getting harassed by my two brothers.

Every few years, they'll bring in a new shipment of sand to replenish the beach and it always makes things look so different. They'll plant new beach grass along the dunes, and the fence that delineates the open beach from the dunes seems to shrink and disappear into the ground. Funny how a little more sand makes everything look really different.

And then there is the building on new condos. This area used to be full of tiny little cottages, and now massive vacation homes are popping up in their places. I miss the quaintness of the beach cottages.

No comments: